Friday, July 8, 2011

Stealing Time

Today I feel impressed to tell you that you need to take a little time for yourself. I know for some of you making this time will take serious planning and seem like it’s just too much trouble. But I promise you; it will be worth it!

I remember when my kids were little, and I used to go to praise and worship practice every Thursday night. I enjoyed music and praising the Lord, but this was also “me time”. I had to arrange a babysitter often, but it felt so good to get a way for a few hours. Looking back, I see the need for taking a break or removing myself from the hustle and bustle of it all and chill out. More importantly, stealing time away, despite how brief or extended it is, can make or break what you have left to minister to your family. I think it is crucial to your ability to minister to your family in the most effective manner. We are no good to anyone if we have no reserves. We are no good to ourselves if we have nothing left. Remember it’s about having time away to relax and not about how much you spend! Since I must practice what I write, I went and had some of my own “me” time today. I feel so much better!

That’s right! Today I went to Get Well Therapy today and had a massage! Sue Wesolowski is my licensed massage therapist (#MA47155) who did a fabulous job working out the knots and tension ridden muscles in my neck, shoulder, and back. The last time I had a massage, it was twenty years ago! It’s been too long and time for me to do this more often. I’d say something like at least once a month will do! Right now they are running an awesome special that she will honor if you tell her my name, Ileana Reich, and that you read about me in my blog. Here is her great deal: $20.00 for a half-an-hour and $35.00 for an hour. These are their summer specials. They are located at 3161 Harbor Blvd Suite B. Please call Sue @ 941-286-3382 at make an appt for Tues. or Fri. She starts at 8:15 AM and takes her last appointment at 6 PM!

If you’re not the massage type, the following are a few ideas to get you thinking:

· When everyone goes to bed, take a bath and light a candle. Read your favorite book or sit there and just soak in the silence. Some women like to play soft music too.

· Get your coffee, cocoa, or tea one step from being “button ready” and your favorite book. Get up 15-30 minutes before your house awakens. Leave the stuff on the counter and floor. It will be there later. Read your Bible and pray. Sometimes it is good to just sit, relax, and thank God.

· If you have a spouse, take a walk with yourself or a friend before everyone wakes up or after everyone goes to bed.

· Arrange for a few friends to get a sitter club together and take turns watching the kids. You can go out on a date-night, girls-night out, or other activity you love to do, such as shop or get a bite to eat.

· Join a cheap gym that has a daycare.

· Visit a spa in your area and have a manicure, facial, and or pedicure, etc.

· Go to a park.

· Go to the beach.

· Go shopping.

· Meet a friend for lunch.

· Fall Breakaway/ Ladies Retreats/ Marriage Retreats….

I caution you to try to do something by yourself and soak in the “me” time. Too often we hear the words from the pulpit to give and serve. These are true Christian attributes that one should strive to do, but the Bible also tells us to be a good steward. It used to feel awkward when I would think this way. I’d feel guilty for thinking about taking time for myself. Before long I became aware that I was giving myself away to everyone around me; I had little left for my husband. I began to reevaluate my priorities. Changes were in order!

What about you? Do you need to make some changes? Do you cringe at the idea of “me” time? If you do, examine your heart and ask yourself why. I truly believe that we need to love ourselves, and this means taking care of ourselves! We also need to do more forgiving and releasing of ourselves and our actions. This is also a love decision we make towards ourselves. Why is it we are quicker to ask God to help us forgive someone, but we do not ask God to ask Him to help us forgive ourselves? If we want to be whole, we need to take care of the whole person and not just parts. Take time out for yourself. Discover a part of you that you never knew existed!

No comments: