Saturday, February 26, 2011

Getting Rid of Worry Warts is Easy: Laud Them Away!

What are you worried about today? Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT) says, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all He has done.” Is is that easy?

The truth is we worry though we pray; we give it to God, but we pick it right up again. For example, I awoke this morning from a restless sleep, and I was still worrying about a plethora of things. How will my students do on the FCAT this Tuesday? How will things work out with my children, extended family, and friends’ challenges; when will they find that the Lord can meet all their needs, despite whatever fire they are walking through? I was praying, which was still in worry, about a dear friend. What about my husband’s cough, asthma, and high blood pressure? What about the book I am writing and my blogs? Will He use them? I was concerned about my foot, which is still not healed. Why this, and why that? These are just a few of the steams that were running directly from my heart to the Lord. I felt like they were bouncing off a mirror and right back into my heart!

These words were prayers, but they were jam-packed with worry; they lacked praise and thankfulness. I received no sense of rest that things would come together. I was not settled! I had been up most of the night thinking and wrestling with all this stuff. I fed my flesh by eating bagels and nuts, and I turned to Facebook, reading posts and commenting. I fed my spirit; I read and prayed. I even sent my dear friend a message of encouragement. Yet, I did not feel His peace completely over it all. I finally fell asleep!

So, like I said, I woke up with worry and chains attached to me. I was bogged down. I persevered and began to read the Message Bible. I needed to prepare for leading worship tomorrow. God move me forward as I prayed. Shake off this worry and turmoil! Lead me to Your water. My cistern is full of fret; consume my fire of worry with Your life giving spirit. My lips are dry. I thirst for You. Oh God, get me beyond myself.

As I began to seek the Lord, I found the following scripture: Philippians 4:6 -7. It says, “Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” (The Message). I forgot that prayer streams require praise and thanksgiving; otherwise, they are shaped in worry. I never praised God for taking care of any of it and or for answering my prayers. I never thanked Him. I had moments of meeting Him, and He quickened some scriptures and a song title for me to send to a friend, but I never got into His secret chamber. I guess I didn’t hear Him say, “Take your jacket off and stay a while; come in my child.” Man, I missed out. He has and had peace prepared for me; I really did miss out.

I am also perplexed by the fact that maybe I am used to carrying worries; so, I choose to carry them. I am being honest. When truth began to illuminate my heart this morning, He reminded me that worry is not what I was created to do. If I carry this worry water, I will eventually have physical symptoms. Meaning, He will get my attention some how, but He will also point me in the right direction!
It says in 1 Peter 2:9 (NKJV) that “you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” You must be wondering that if I am walking in His marvelous light, then why I am surrounded by so many problems? Peter reminds us not to “be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you.” (1 Peter 4:12 NLT). He also tells us that we will suffer with Him. Suffering means discomfort, trails, and pain. Furthermore, in 1Peter 5:10 (NLT), He declares that “after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you...” I don’t think the way He does. I do not understand what “a liitle while” refers to, and it is difficult to assign an allotment or time frame to how long the trouble or troubles, for that matter, will last. In fact, it seems like it has been a long time of suffering and not a “little while”. Yet, the Bible tells us to count these trials as joy (James 1:2 NKJV). Does this mean to find joy in suffering too? The answer is yes if I want to share in His glory (1 Peter 5:10 NLT).

I guess we are back where this whole thing started: Philippians 4:6 (NLT), “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.” Yes, we all worry, but the Lord tells us HOW to deal with worry. I thought why not try it: Ok Lord, I will shape my prayers with praise. I will enter into Your chamber room, and let you consume my worry. I will praise and thank you in these struggles. My lips will speak of your awesomeness. I will look for Your goodness in the land of the living, and I will thank you for answered prayer. I trust You, and I will not leave your chamber until I have found and embraced Your joy. Amazing! I prayed that and now I am settled.

Why don’t you take a moment and “give your cares to the Lord" (1 Peter 5:7 NLT)? You can’t give or get rid of them unless you shape your worries with praise and thankfulness. He will renew you and give you rest! What are you waiting for?

No comments: